With news of the first case of Corona Virus in Lagos, Nigeria, here are some things you need to know about the disease including the symptoms and how to prevent it.
What is Corona-virus Disease 2019 (COVID-19)
Corona viruses are a family of viruses that can cause illnesses such as the common cold, severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) and Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS).
Symptoms of corona virus
Signs and symptoms of the virus vary from person-to-person. It may appear two to 14 days after exposure and can include:
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- Runny nose
- Sore throat
Here are things you need to take note of and observe in order to prevent the disease:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water, or use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer.
- Cover your mouth and nose with your elbow or tissue when you cough or sneeze.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth if your hands aren’t clean.
- Avoid close contact with anyone who is sick.
- Avoid sharing dishes, glasses, bedding and other household items if you’re sick.
- Clean and disinfect surfaces you often touch.
- Stay home from work, school and public areas if you’re sick.
WHO also recommends that you:
- Contact your doctor if you have a fever, cough and difficulty breathing, and tell him or her about any recent travels.
- Avoid eating raw or under-cooked meat or animal organs.
- Avoid contact with live animals and surfaces they may have touched if you’re visiting live markets in areas that have recently had new corona-virus cases.