Shawarma is a mouthwatering Middle Eastern dish that has gained popularity around the world for its delicious flavors and unique combination of ingredients. If you’ve ever wondered how to make shawarma at home, you’re in luck! In this article, we’ll walk you through a step-by-step guide on how to create your own homemade shawarma that will rival any you’ve tasted before.
To make shawarma, you’ll need the following ingredients:
- 1 kilogram of chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened yogurt
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4 hot dogs
- 4 pita bread pockets
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
For the filling:
- 1/4 cup of mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons of ketchup
- 1 teaspoon of sweet chili sauce or 1/2 teaspoon of sugar
- 1–2 tablespoons of sriracha sauce or 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon of lemon juice
- 1/4 cup of purple cabbage (for color)
- 1 cup of cabbage
- 1 medium carrot
Marinating the Chicken
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the garlic powder, cumin, salt, paprika, cayenne pepper, unsweetened yogurt, vegetable oil, and two bouillon cubes.
- Place the chicken breasts in the mixture and coat them completely. Allow the chicken to marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour.
Preparing the Filling
- In a small bowl, mix all of the liquid ingredients for the filling, excluding the cabbage and carrot. This will be the flavorful sauce that brings the shawarma together.
- Thinly slice the cabbage and grate the carrot. Combine and mix the cabbage and carrot in a separate bowl.
Grilling the Chicken
- After the chicken breasts have marinated for 1 hour, remove the bowl from the fridge and place the breasts on a hot grill. Alternatively, you can cut the chicken thinly and put it on a skewer or use an oiled non-stick pan to grill.
- Heat up the hot dogs on the grill or in a pan.
- Once the chicken is grilled and slightly cooled, shred the meat into small pieces.
Assembling the Shawarma
- Separate the pita bread pockets into two thin sheets.
- Spread the sauce generously on the inner side of one bread sheet.
- Add a layer of the mixed cabbage and carrot onto the sauce.
- Place a hot dog on top of the vegetables.
- Finally, add a generous amount of the shredded chicken on top.
- Wrap up the shawarma by folding both bread sheets together.
- Repeat the process until all of the ingredients have been used.
Grilling the Shawarma
- Heat up a pan or grill and place the wrapped shawarmas with the folded side down.
- The heat of the pan or grill will help seal the wrap and create a deliciously crispy texture.
- Grill the shawarmas until they are heated through and the bread is lightly toasted.
Serving and Enjoying
- Once the shawarmas are grilled to perfection, remove them from the heat and let them cool slightly.
- Cut the shawarmas into halves or quarters and serve them with your favorite side dishes or sauces.
- Enjoy the flavorful and juicy homemade shawarmas with friends and family!
Making shawarma at home is not only a fun and rewarding experience but also allows you to customize the flavors to your liking. Experiment with different spices, sauces, and fillings to create your own signature shawarma recipe. Whether you’re hosting a party or simply craving a delicious and satisfying meal, homemade shawarma is sure to impress!